Date/TimeJuly 28, 2017
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
LocationArmy Navy Country Club - 3rd Deck
Please make your reservations for the Summer luncheon to be held Friday, 28 July 2017 at the Army-Navy Country Club, Arlington, VA from 1130-1330. Thanks to all who provided advance notice about attendance, we have had a great response — everyone still needs to complete the formal reservation.
Our featured speaker is RADM Bill Merz, Director, Undersea Warfare (OPNAV N97)
Rear Adm. Merz graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1986 with a Bachelor of Science in Ocean Engineering and holds master’s degrees from Catholic University and the Naval War College. His sea assignments include JO on USS Haddo (SSN 604), Eng on USS Boise (SSN 764), RADCON Officer on USS Proteus (AS 19) and commands of Submarine NR-1, USS Memphis (SSN 691) and Submarine Development Squadron 12. Ashore he has conducted submarine design research in Carderock, Maryland, completed two tours in the Pentagon as a budget programmer on the Navy and joint staffs, headed the Naval Reactors’ “Line Locker” and served as chief-of-staff for Commander, Submarine Forces Atlantic, Commander, Task Force 144. His previous Flag assignments include commander Naval Mine & Anti-Submarine Warfare Command (NMAWC) and Task Force 77 in San Diego, commander Submarine Group 7 and Task Force 74 in Yokosuka, Japan, and commander Task Force 54 in Bahrain.
As director, Undersea Warfare Division (N97), Rear Adm. Merz is responsible for the planning, programming and budgeting for acquisition, operational readiness and modernization of the submarine force and its support. He has completed nine overseas deployments in support of U.S., Joint and Coalition undersea warfare operations in the Pacific Command, European Command, Central Command and Africa Command. The crews he served with collectively earned six unit awards, five Battle “E”s and the Atlantic Fleet’s Battenberg Cup.
Step 1 — Make your reservation – send your reservation request by email to Chapter Secretary, Dixon Hicks, CapitolNSL1@outlook.com, no later than 1600, 20 July.
· Include name(s) as you would like to see it on the preprinted nametag.
· Guests and spouses are welcome (same rate as members). The NSL is the professional organization for submariners and submarine advocates and I strongly encourage non-members to join (go to http://www.navalsubleague.com/). The cost is as low as $10/year.
· Cancellations are required by 1600, 20 July so that we can set the number of chairs. No refunds will be processed after this date. Of note, $35.00 will be collected from individuals with reservations who intended to pay at the door and “no-show”.
· Reservation requests received after the due date are at risk of not being accommodated if seating capacity has been reached.
Step 2 — Select a payment option – payments do not need to be made at the time of reservation.
· Payments can be made by check or credit card (via PayPal) and must be received by 1600, 27 July to receive the advance rate. Payments are $30 in advance or $35 at the door per person for the luncheon. JO’s/Enlisted personnel pay $22 in advance or $26 at the door. There is no charge for Midshipmen.
· To pay by credit/debit card or online bank, go to link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FFGZWGHQK3YNU and select how many reservations you desire (may have to paste the link depending upon your firewall). This will log into your PayPal account which you can use to pay. If you don’t have an account, clink the link on the bottom of the PayPal screen “Pay with Debit or Credit Card” and process your payment. For JO’s/Enlisted personnel, email Dixon and he will send you a link for the lower rate.
· To pay by check, make payable to the “Naval Submarine League” and send to Dixon Hicks, 15161 Stillfield Place, Centreville, VA 20120-3914. Provide the following information with your check: Names of attendees, email, phone number.
I look forward to seeing you at the lunch.